Police: shooter is deceased at the scene.
[UPDATES] Webster, N.Y. (MorichesDaily) — Authorities say four firefighters were shot, two of them killed while responding to a house fire in Upstate Webster New York, near Rochester.
Officials in the town of Webster tell local media outlets that someone shot at firefighters around 6 a.m. Monday when they arrived at the scene of the blaze just east of Rochester.
Police say that a SWAT team is on the scene and the shooter is deceased at the scene. The first Webster police officer who arrived exchanged gunfire with a shooter, Monroe County Sheriff Patrick O’Flynn said.
Police also said preliminary reports indicate the shooter may have set a trap, to purposefully lure in the firefighters.
It appears that the fire has spread to multiple houses but the Webster Fire Marshal, Rob Boutillier, has said that Firefighters have been removed from the scene.
Mercy flight and police helicopters are on the scene also.
Residents in the immediate area of the scene have been asked to stay in their homes, away from windows and doors.
Emergency crews have shut down the roads in the area. Traffic on Bay Road is closed at Backus Road.
One firefighter escaped from the scene in his own vehicle about an hour after he was shot, then was transported to the hospital by an ambulance from another location, Boutillier said. He was listed in satisfactory condition, Boutillier said.
Another wounded firefighter was conscious and speaking when he was removed from the scene, Boutillier said.
“Our main concern right now is to have law enforcement evacuate the people in harm’s way (and) make the scene safe for the fire department,” Boutillier told reporters. “And then the fire department will go in and do its job.”
The firefighters, were taken to Strong Memorial Hospital, according to Webster Fire Marshal Rob Boutillier.
“I’m not aware of anything like this happening in Webster, obviously not a firefighter being fired upon, he said.
Firefighters let the fire, which has spread to another house, burn until the area had been secured, Boutillier said. It is unknown if occupants are inside the houses.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo called the shootings “horrific.”
“All of our thoughts and prayers go to the families and friends of those who were killed in this senseless act of violence,” Cuomo said. “We as the community of New York mourn their loss as now two more families must spend the holidays without their loved ones.”
This is a developing story and we will provide updates at they’re available.